Saturday 20 September 2014

Adobo Chicken Because It's A Sexy Kind of Day

Well now, I have to tell you that today was one of the better days I've had lately. I went to the beauty parlour to get my hair done, and when my stylist Catarina appeared, she was totally done over into a ten years younger and hotter version of her young self! She had darkened her hair to nearly black with an ombre of purple at the bottom. And she had some sexy bangs going on too. I have never been more jealous and old feeling in my life. And I told her so. So she suggested we do just one purple streak on my (old lady head) and if I wasn't comfortable with it, we could erase it at once. So I agreed wholeheartedly to that! Long story short, I practically danced out of that salon with the sexiest purple streak in my hair there ever was! I'm more than thrilled and feeling very hip. And that got me to thinking about how fortunate I am to have so many hip and groovy friends. Thanks to my LadyGirls of course! And I'm so grateful for their friendship.

But through Kelly, I had the very good fortune to attend a wedding with her in Mexico last year. Such a beautiful wedding (Sabrina and Nate), I met possibly the coolest, hippest gentleman that ever walked the planet Earth. I could go on and on. But suffice to say, I am blessed to call him a friend now. Phil. My friend Phil. So we'll make some Filipino style Adobo Chicken and we'll make this for our hip and cultured friends every chance we get!

You'll need:
Chicken thighs. Plan on 2 per person
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 finely diced shallot
salt and pepper as we go along
5 cloves of minced garlic
4 bay leaves
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons of fish sauce
a handful of peppercorns
a dash of cayenne pepper depending if you like a bit of heat
a splash of oil to brown the chicken. Use whatever you like. I used vegetable oil.
green onion or scallion to garnish
rice - steamed or however you like it. I like pilaf. I cup of long grain rice will feel about 4 people. Use 2 1/2 cups of liquid for each cup of rice.

Marinade the chicken in the soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce, shallot, garlic and a dash of salt and freshly ground pepper for an hour or two.
Make your rice when you're about to make the chicken.

Brown the chicken for about 5 minutes per side in the oil until golden brown, remove and set aside. Add the marinade and simmer until reduced by half. Put the chicken back in the pot and add the broth, bay leaves and peppercorns and cayenne pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes and uncover and simmer for about 10 more minutes. Taste for seasoning. It should be tart, so add a bit more vinegar if need be.
You should be good for salt and pepper, but add if you like.

Serve with whatever you like. Salad or any vegetable. Doesn't matter because this dish is a tribute to all the cool people you know. So serve what they would like. Cheers hip people and those with purple hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment