Sunday 6 April 2014

Potato Crisps

So here is the thing of it. Facebook. If you're 20, then you most likely use this social media site to promote yourself, and to show the world how gorgeous you are.  If you're 54, then not so much. I'm not much one to take selfies in the bathroom mirror in a push up bra with duck lips and such as that! But I do enjoy Facebook as a really good tool to communicate with my friends and family. And all the time, because of my age and my social connections, recipes pop up too. I bet the young people never receive these feeds. But I'm glad I do because I love them. And I don't have a closed mind when it comes to these ideas. I love them all and I try them all. (Unless they're entirely stupid and I can see that at a glance.) But I happened to love the photo of these potato crisps that came up on my newsfeed one day. They aren't crisps or crispy in any way. So it was kind of a bullshit deal right from there on. But I digress. On to the recipe! And I made this recipe just as it came up on my newsfeed. And sure. Why not right? Then I tweaked it just slightly to put it to my way of thinking. Now I will tell you first off, it you don't have a really good, heavy duty muffin pan, then use those paper cupcake liners for this because no matter if you spray Pam or grease the pan, they'll stick.

So let's wreck a muffin pan! You'll need"
3 cups of mashed potatoes
2 eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tablespoons Parmesan
2 tablespoons of chives or parsley "chives or parsley" Like WTF?

Okay. So anybody can see this is a slap happy mess already right? Let's try to narrow it down into something we can be a little bit proud to serve. Let's make damn sure we make those mashed potatoes with Yukon Gold, yellow fleshed potatoes, using real butter and real cream to mash them up. How about slicing the top off an entire bulb of garlic and roasting it in the oven on 375 wrapped in tinfoil for 30 minutes and squeezing that yumminess into the mash? I say Yes to that! So mash your potatoes with butter and cream and roasted garlic and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Whisk your eggs and add the sour cream. And now Whoa! Sure. We all love a cup of grated old cheddar. On our Nachos maybe! But potatoes on our dinner plate are not football snack. So let's take this up a level. If you like Roquefort or Blue cheese, use half that and half cheddar. Or if you like Swiss or Emmenthal or whatever. Just don't use pedestrian cheese since potatoes have no flavour and the job of the cheese is to give the flavour to this dish. So whisk your cheese of choice into the eggs.It also calls for Parmesan, and once again, you can do better than that! Use something you grate yourself, or at least needs to be kept under refrigeration from the deli section. And now on to the part where they skipped over about the parsley? Add 2 tablespoons of chopped chives or a teaspoon of chopped, fresh rosemary. Since they didn't ask for seasoning, I'd go ahead and toss in half a teaspoon of paprika too. And sprinkle your cakes with chopped parsley when you serve them, Mix it all together and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Fill up the muffin cups to nearly full and bake for 30 - 35 minutes.

So there you have it! A nice side dish of the ever boring potato. But this time with flavour! Maybe I'll selfie it up in the bathroom mirror one of these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment