Sunday 6 May 2012

Chiffonades and granitas and responsiblity!

This is not my blog of the day and I'm waiting for inspiration to write that. But I was just watching a bit of Triple D on Foodnetwork and it dawned on me that I should put out a public warning at once. We can't be careful enough when it comes to throwing foodie terms around and speaking in Foodnetwork like it's our second language. Or worse, our Mother Tongue! Along with freedom comes responsibility. And we have to take that burden seriously. It just dawned on me that we are an inspiration to all expectant mothers. Think of wannabe foodie Gwyneth Paltrow naming her daughter Apple. And what in the name of God would prevent Rachel Ray from naming her firstborn Chiffonade? Or Granita?
Back in the day, when my children were born, we all took our inspiration from soap opera characters. So of course we had our Lukes and our Lauras and Colbys and Phoebes and so on. And then we had a resurgence of biblical names, so hello Noah, Matthew, Rebekah, and Rachel. I came from the plain Jane 50's of Debbies and Nancys and Stevens and Bills. So just a word to the wise, if you're expecting a grandchild, or you know somebody who has one on the way and they are planning to name that child Fricassee or Julienne, for the love of all that is just and holy, intiate a name intervention!! Nobody wants to face a future of having 5 Mashed Potatoes on the attendence list of the 2017 kindergarten class!

No comments:

Post a Comment